Sunday, February 6, 2011

flight


I didn't expect this much space, this much time to myself. I didn't plan to get lost.  My reference point for which way is back home has been missing. Where was the sun when I needed it pointing west? But still and all . . .The geese were a welcome sight.



5 comments:

  1. I always get disoriented when I travel.

    Great shot of the monument with the geese homing in on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know. for some reason your words capture that sense of being off balance in a unfamiliar location so perfectly. the monument looks like a giant needle in a compass that is momentarily not pointing you in the right direction....but at least the geese are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. Your words, the scene.

    I just read this fabulous essay by Marilynne Robinson, "Hearing Silence: Western Myth Reconsidered," delivered at a conference in Montana, In the Thoreau Tradition. Do you know of it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. kass- you too?

    amanda- oh wow, exactly so! the geese are what settled me.

    kathleen- you are the second person to talk to me about marilynne robinson. no i haven't heard of the essay and now i am off to find it. thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your image and these words speak to me:

    "this much space, this much time"

    ReplyDelete